How to use this course
How you will proceed through the course contents:
When you enroll, you will have access to all of the course materials at once. Here are my suggestions on how to use each section:
1. Warm-up and stretch-down:
- Start each learning or practice session with a warm-up -- you can choose either the short set (about 12 minites) or the long set (about 36 minutes); as you get used to these warmup exercises, you can do your own without following the videos.
- End each learning or practice session with a stretching (about 3 minutes).
2. Foundations and Drills:
If you have taken the Wuji Qigong and Tai Chi Cloud Hands courses with me, or learned these from other Chen Taiji instructors, you can skip these. Otherwise:
- Start with the 2 lessons on Body alignment before jumping to Laojia Yilu lessons;
- For each posture in the Laojia Yilu lessons, I have listed which Foundations and Drills lessons are relevant or will help you with learning the posture faster; when you find yourself struggling with a new posture, come back here and make sure you spend enough time working on the relevant lessons.
3. Lao Jia Yi Lu:
These are fairly self explanatory - follow the order of the lessons, spend as much time as you need on each new posture and practice often! :)
4. Q&A; general points:
The titles of each unit as well as the text inside the unit should give you an idea of what they are about - check them out as you wish but they are also good to save to the end when you are working on refinement.
How you will be supported through the course:
I have designed this course to allow you to learn and practice Taijiquan safely on your own. In addition, I am available to provide support in the following ways:
1. Pre-course survey
You will be asked to fill in a pre-course survey before you start the learning modules. This is to help me get to know each student a little bit and understand your individual goals and needs. I read all of them, and may reach out to individual students if I see anything needing a dialogue or a quick encouragement!
2. Q&A board and/or email
Each unit has a comment field at the bottom where you can ask questions.
If you prefer to ask questions privately, you can email me at [email protected]
I can typically get to your question/email within 1 day, 2 days at the most.
3. 1:1 Coaching (with an additional fee)
If you are not attending live classes but feel you could use real-time feedback or more guidance on self-practice, you may schedule a 1:1 virtual coaching session with me. In the coaching session, I can answer your questions, watch your perform (you may also send me a video clip in advance to save time during coaching session), and provide suggestions for adjustments or improvement of techniques, or help you design a practice routine that works for your goals and schedule.
4. Live group practice sessions
Depending on demand and schedule, I may occasionally host live group practice sessions via zoom or locally in an outdoor setting (following proper public health safety protocols). Notifications will be sent via email through the course website.
1. To ensure you receive important course announcements via email, make sure you:
- check the notification preferences in your profile settings to make sure you "agree to receive instructional and promotional emails from Moving Stillness" -- I don't send marketing emails, only those relevant to this course;
- check your email spam folder and unblock emails coming from "Moving Stillness" or "....teachable.com".
2. I can be reached directly via email at [email protected].
Useful Tools and Tips:
This course can be viewed in Teachable's iOS app, which allows you to watch the instruction videos and view most other contents on the go. Note that some contents (e.g., Q&A/comments) are not visible in the iOS app and you would need to access those on a computer.
That’s it for now! Enjoy the journey!